Do you have friends or family members that don’t recycle? What kinds of excuses do they give you? The article “5 Reasons Why People Don’t Recycle and 5 Reasons They Should” by Ronnie Citron-Fink lists the popular excuses of non-recyclers and reasons why you should recycle.
Reasons People Don’t Recycle:
1. Inconvenience- Some people don’t want to put in the “extra effort” but some places have “no pick-up.”
2. Not Enough Space in the Home- People with small homes or apartments don’t want to see garbage and extra garbage containers.
3. “If they paid me, I’d recycle”- Some countries fine people for not recycling, some pay you for cans and/or bottles, and, sometimes there isn’t any fine or payment.
4. It doesn’t make a difference- “Misinformation about overflowing landfills, depleted resources and climate change has convinced some people that recycling doesn’t make a difference. They believe there is no problem.”
5. It’s too hard- You can’t put all recyclable products in one bin, you have to divide them up. It’s hard to understand which product goes where.
Reasons Why you Should Recycle:
- It saves energy- If you recycle, “the manufacturer does not have to produce something new from raw natural resources.” By recycling, you can save on energy consumption, which keeps production costs down.”
- Reduces the need for landfills- Less garbage= fewer landfills.
- Preserves our resources and protect wildlife- “Paper recycling alone saves millions of trees, and recycling reduces the need to destroy animal habitats.”
- Boosts the economy- “Purchasing products that have been recycled creates a greater demand for more recycled goods. Goods made from recycled materials use less water, create less pollution and use less energy.”
- Helps our climate- “Recycling produces less carbon, which reduces the amount of harmful greenhouse gases.”